My first attempt was to use a technique I came across in a chapter from a book in which Paul Wells states while doing a case study on Caroline Leaf's 'The Street'. In the case of adaptation, it involves drawing a meaning from the text, filtering it through a highly personalized creative consciousness and finally redetermining the text which ultimately offers a perspective on dominant motifs, narrative events and affecting detail.
Therefore, to practically apply it, I decided to thumbnail sequences from the children's book 'Harold and the Purple Crayon making sure I referenced the animated short as well.
This was to help me have the original story in order before I reconstruct the story.
I then infused another interesting approach to my adaptation using 'Story Spline'. This was taught to us in class by our tutor and I knew then that this was the easiest way to initiate a fresh concept, especially for people like myself who have trouble putting events in a logical sequence. Even though the story spline may not be the final output, it gives a good kickstart to making ones imagination run wild with ideas.
Having the skeletal structure in place, I knew then what I wanted to manipulate in terms of adapting. Adaptations can apply not just to the story line but it also to plots, characters, genre, time period etc. What I decided to play upon was visual metaphors from particular shots of the story. I was therefore not going to change the entire story but play around with elements within the story and most importantly, give a backdrop to my character which gave me some amount of freedom to play around with the story line.